The 1900s were a very mixed up time with many changes and improvements, as well as hardships.
The 1900s also starts a time of better record keeping so more information is known about this period then others.
In 1906, Sussex County Council decided the ban Bonfires near public highways. This created a major problem as Battle Bonfire was
on the Abbey green, which was near a public highway. Due to this, Battle Bonfire Boyes `disbanded` in a way, but it was more a case
of the core members changing the name and location to Battle Hill Bonfire Boys. Battle Hill was a bit more out of town, but was
away from the Public Highway, thus it could carry on. up to 1919, this was still the case. But then
the Law was changed and the group was renamed again as Battle & Battle Hill Bonfire Boys. Duing the 50s, it was finally restored to
it`s rightful name of Battle Bonfire Boys.
Put that Ruddy Light Out!
During the Blackouts (1939 to 1945), most bonfire Socities were forced to stop all together since the bonfires were large sources of light that
would attract the Luftwaffe (German airforce). This did not stop Battle, and with permission, a single candle was allowed to be placed on the Abbey
Green each Bonfire Night as well as the members giving the chant, to insure not even the German airforce would stop Battle Bonfire Boys doing what they do and keeping the Socitiy alive.
Making Torches Pre-1939
at Wellington Gardens, Including Mr. Reg Wenham, Mr. (Unknown), Mr. (Unknown) & Mr. George Prodger.
A Gurt Bonfire at the Abby Green
Pre-1939s Photo, believed of the Battle Bonfire, with Kids posing in front
No more Drill Hall
The Battle Drill Hall had been the location for the Bonfire`s judging of fancy dress contests and
it worked as a central location which was used as an assembly point. However, in 1957, the Drill Hall
was sold to the GPO, which meant trouble for the society. While permission was asked to use the hall, a secondary plan was needed
but it became pretty clear that Battle didn`t HAVE a public hall. In the end, the judging happened
at the market square.