Can't see the Menu? Click Here
The 1600s were the time when the plot dates back to, in fact, 1605, so it doesn`t seem likely that
there would be too much information from this period, but some information is found in the church records that make the founding
precursor of the modern day Bonfire Boyes, as the evolution of the group was very natural and happened over time, and when it finally had
a `official` name, it was still the same people behind it.
St. Mary`s Church Parish from 1646, show that 2 Shillings and 6 pence was allocated by the church wardens, John Foster and John Philcocks, which was recorded as being spent on celebrations of gunpowder treason.
This Church money wouldn`t have been allocated to a single person, but to a small committee in order to put on a public event of some kind which would include a bonfire.
More church money is recorded, this time an amount of 17 Shillings and 6 pence, for Gunpowder Celeblations. Two Church wardens are recorded along with this, Mr Thomas Longley
and Mr John Hammond. Thomas Longley`s Family descendants have a long history with the Bonfire and some are still members to this day. In 1676, John Hammond was given a grant
to build a powder mill on the Abbey land at Pepperingeye, though it seems this mill was in fact, a converted mill. The Battle Gunpowder was claimed to be the finest in europe
and supplied the British Army up until the Crimean war. However, in 1874, a series of Explosions caused the deaths of some people and the mills were closed down.
Web site contents © Copyright Battel Bonfire Boyes, All rights reserved.
Original template from Website templates